World Championships Qualifier Q&A - David Deakin
Deaks loves to train… Check out what he has been up to leading into the World Champs!
1. How many times a week were you riding/running and swimming in your 70.3 lead in?
The lead in was across the winter training block so it was a combination of strength and power.
Typically 4 swims, 3 rides and 4 runs plus some gym work
2. What type of power sets were you doing? Can you give us an example of one?
The 2 x 50Min TT efforts hurt, just learn to hang onto the suffering!
3. What are your peak power and FTP values?
310watts FTP. Peak power, 1024 Watts
4. What type of run sets were you doing? Can you give us an example?
Im a runner so like to get out and run!
4 runs usually - 1 hr tempo run at E3 off the back of the big Tuesday bike session - Recovery 40 min easy the day after - Brutal track sets on a Thursday, sometimes up to 20km - A long 1.5hr strength run in the hills on the weekend
5. Tell us about your hardest training day?
Oooo Hard to say, had a time in Ironman training where I rang the coach in tears, and his only answer was.. now you’re ready!
But in this block I think we had just done a 6hr hilly ride on the Tuesday and then did 20 x 400M efforts at track on Thursday.. I remember collapsing over the line at 15… the bike set in the afternoon wasn’t pretty..!
6. What is your biggest tip for new Triathletes leading into a 70.3?
They say you keep improving for 10 years from where you start so, im 5 in, so still just a beginner.
Consistency and patience is key, just keep turning up and the results will come…